Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby jackofheartz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 am

OK I wanted to move my PostgreSQL folder to another drive to free up space on my main drive. I moved it to the backup drive but can't get PT to locate the old dbases. So I tried moving the folder back to its original location and it still doesn't see them. I get the following error

Error #: 1
Unable to connect to PostfreSQL (Port #: 5432) to get the list of databases. The error was:
101 - SQLSTATE = 08001
Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket.


I know this is probably an easy fix to move and relocate the dbases but I'm clueless here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
jackofheartz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:54 am

You can't just move the files like this and it's not PT that is having the errors, it's PostgreSQL that's not running now so PT cannot connect to it.

Go to the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services window. Find PostgreSQL in the list. Does it say it's running? If not, try to start it. What happens? Does it give an error?
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby jackofheartz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Under services I have PostgreSQL Database and status says Started. But under task manager I used to have 4+ instances of postgre running and now I have none. I have Windows XP as well if that matters. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL?
jackofheartz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Go to the Start menu and select Programs > PostgreSQL 8.2 > pgAdmin III
Right-click on the red X near the top left of the window and select "Connect" from the popup menu.
Enter your p/w when prompted.
Does this connect without error and show a list of databases or does it give an error too? If so, what is that error?
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby jackofheartz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:48 pm

It doesn't connect I get the error below.

"An error has occured:

Could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accecpting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"
jackofheartz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:19 pm

I don't see how the service can tell you that it's running if you are getting this error.

Go to the c:\program files\postgresql\8.2\data folder. Is there a file called postmaster.pid? If so, delete it then restart the computer and try it again.
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby jackofheartz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm using 8.0 instead of 8.2 if that makes a difference?

I deleted the postmaster.pid file and restarted and got the error when PT opened. I then went back to pgAdmin and this time it said PostgreSQL wasn't running. I started the service up there and then tried to connect like you told me earlier but I got the same error. So the service is running but I can't connect to it.
jackofheartz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Moved PostgreSQL folder PT can't find dbases

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Did you at least use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Settings window in PT to do a backup of this database before you decided to start moving all the files?
ptrack pat
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 pm


Return to PostgreSQL Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests